Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Summer time and my thoughts always turn to classics.  When I was in high school one of our assignments was to read a classic. Wanting to be able to choose from a large selection I was one of the first in the library to pick a book from the list that the teacher had handed out.  Thomas Hardy's Far From the Madding Crowd sounded really good.  I hated it.  Hurried back to the library only to find that all the books on her list were checked out. I was stuck with Hardy.  And I am so glad.  It took me almost to the middle of the book for me to get into it but what a ride.  It was great and today I have almost the entire collection of Thomas Hardy books. 

From there I decided that every summer I would read at least one classic and except for a few summers when my children were little I have done just that.


2 comments:

  1. So what are you reading this summer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right now I am reading Diana Gabaldon's Outlander. Unfortunately everybody I know has read it before me. As soon as I say I'm reading it I hear, "Have you got to the part where . . ." "Oh, I loved when . . ." "What did you think when . . ." Okay, I haven't reached any of those spots yet so unfortunately there isn't much left in the way of excitement or anticipation for me.

    ReplyDelete