Wednesday, February 27, 2013

How do you read?

I know that I read a little differently from other people in that I don't read the back of books or the inside jacket prior to starting the book.  However, I was surprised one day when I was doing a book signing.  

A woman came up to my table and asked me some questions concerning my books.  She then picked one of them up and read the last page.  "You read the ending first?" I asked rather flabbergasted.  

"Yes, I want to know if everything turns out all right in the end before I start it."  

I had never heard of anyone doing this nor have I read too many books that the ending didn't turn out all right.  And what is it about books that we expect to have a happy ending 

2 comments:

  1. I would never read the ending before everything before that! I do pick up books in the store and read the first couple of pages to see if the book grabs me -- either the writing style or story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. when I read a good book I never care about how it ends. I just trust the writer he'll chose the best ending (not necessary the happy one)and enjoy every page. it's much more important HOW things happen then WHAT happens in the end.

    ReplyDelete