Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Reading to Imagining



While outside weeding in my very over-grown gardens I realized that I could imagine perfectly and on a tremendously small scale relate to the book I had just finished reading.


My Dad transplanted these yellow flowers from the house that I grew up in.  Yes, they are over my head and have not bloomed yet but they are taking over everywhere!  I needed to thin them out and in doing so thought about Lost In Shangri-La by Mitchell Zuckoff.  A very good read.  Survivors of a plane crash in New Guinea during World War II, I pictured myself in the jungle and what it must have been like.  Besides the wild animals that roamed the island they had to worry about cannibals and the Japanese.

My biggest threat was possibly finding a garter snake.  

The survivors in all their physical pain still had to walk to a clearing -- a landing site.



I am not minimizing what they went through but I love when I can really get into a book.  When 'I'm there' with the characters. 

Have you ever read a book where you could put yourself right in the pages?

No comments:

Post a Comment