Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Smoking Quilt, Part 2

As I was looking around for the smoke, for the smell was getting stronger, I happened to notice that my batting on the sides of the quilt were bunched up around my lamp.  Now my lamp is hot.  I've burned myself several times on it.  I immediately knocked the batting down away from the heat.  Oh, look, little wisps of smoke.  

It was a big round dark circle that had tiny colors running through it.  Actually kind of neat looking when suddenly it went 'poof' and I had a nice little fire started on my quilt. I'm looking around frantically trying to find something to put it out.  Wait, I've got a drink with me but I have to think about this.  What is it that I have with me?  A coke? Tea? I'm worried about staining my basically black quilt here  (Alcohol?)  No, I've got water!  I grab up my glass and pour it on.  

Who says quilting can't be exciting? 



Fortunately this did not touch the quilt itself and I was able to finish it.  For the corners I wanted a certain look: a fan.  The only way I could see to do this was to sandwich the pieces in.  My quilting group tried to dissuade me from this but I was happy with the results.  

On the back I used hand dyed fabric that I picked up in my travels but it wasn't quite big enough.  Needed to add so I did a 'brick' look and in the bricks I added the ties manufacturing label.  





 I do a lot of back art for my quilts.  The extra 'brick' fabric that I cut off from here went for the binding on another quilt.


1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete